So this is fantastic. I based it off of a recipe I foung on http://www.westerncampservices.com/chefs-corner/recipe/molasses-and-red-wine-braised-short-rib/ , however I tweaked it a little as I like to do things MY way!
Ingredients:
- 4 meaty beef short ribs, cut individually
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped/minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup molasses
- fresh thyme, minced
- fresh rosemary, minced
- fresh parsley, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper for seasoning
*for carrots and celery, I typically cut them into threes lengthwise, then dice them to get the smallest chop so they don't overwhelm each beefy bite.
Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Season short ribs with salt and pepper, and seer in olive oil in a large sauce pan. Once browned, set aside.
Sauté the mirepoix (carrot, onion and celery) on medium high heat in the same pot as the short ribs. Add extra olive oil if necessary.
Add tomato paste, anchovies, and herbs and let mixture brown.
Deglaze the pot with the wine and beef stock.
Add the molasses and simmer.
Throw the short ribs into the pot after a couple of minutes and bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
Transfer to a dutch oven or similar oven-friendly container that will allow the ribs to bee almost completely submerged.
Cook in the oven for 4-6 hours, occasionally stirring and pouring the jus over the exposed short ribs. Can be made 2 days in advance.
Strain the liquid and reduce by half.
Serve short ribs over polenta with reduced sauce.
Et voila!
H.
No comments:
Post a Comment