Though restaurants like La Carnita and Grand Electric are all the buzz in Toronto's Central American cuisine, Tacos El Asador offers an authentic and reasonably priced alternative to those hour-wait hot spots.
This El Salvadorian take on Mexican street food combines simple flavors in traditional classics like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and other Mexican staples.
It was after 2pm on a Friday and the handful of picnic tables were at capacity so I sat at the bar (don't people work?). Quite frankly, I would recommend sitting around the counter as not only do you have a clear view into the kitchen, the conversation with the feisty El Salvadorian man adds a little extra spice to the meal.
I started off with a spicy salt rimmed Tecate garnished with several lime wedges. It was the ideal refreshment and complimented my meal perfectly.
Being the glutton that I am, I bit off a little more than I could chew when I ordered.
I got an order of ground beef soft tacos, and an absolutely mouth watering pulled pork and pineapple hard shell. The house hot sauce was the perfect combination of zest, sweetness, and spice and pretty much saturated all my food (not for lack of flavour on the food's part but for extreme yumminess on the sauce's part).
This was accompanied by a bowl of piping hot chicken noodle soup which had that wonderful homemade taste to it and a little cilantro giving it that "Mexican" flavour.
Then came out an order of avocado enchilada which was essentially a flat, hard shell taco with a layer of black bean paste (assuming it was refried, and I was assured nothing comes from a can!) and avocado, then topped off with lettuce, tomato and the other standard fixings. It was fantastic. I am salivating a little as I write this.
The ambiance was low-key, laid back, and was all-in-all quite pleasant. I'd definitely go back next time I have a little Mexican hankering. It was tasty and didn't break the bank which is always an added benefit!
I'd give it a B+ and look forward to trying the chorizo tacos, burrito, and sweet lord - QUESADILLAS.
h.
690 Bloor Street W - Koreatown
This El Salvadorian take on Mexican street food combines simple flavors in traditional classics like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and other Mexican staples.
It was after 2pm on a Friday and the handful of picnic tables were at capacity so I sat at the bar (don't people work?). Quite frankly, I would recommend sitting around the counter as not only do you have a clear view into the kitchen, the conversation with the feisty El Salvadorian man adds a little extra spice to the meal.
I started off with a spicy salt rimmed Tecate garnished with several lime wedges. It was the ideal refreshment and complimented my meal perfectly.
Being the glutton that I am, I bit off a little more than I could chew when I ordered.
I got an order of ground beef soft tacos, and an absolutely mouth watering pulled pork and pineapple hard shell. The house hot sauce was the perfect combination of zest, sweetness, and spice and pretty much saturated all my food (not for lack of flavour on the food's part but for extreme yumminess on the sauce's part).
This was accompanied by a bowl of piping hot chicken noodle soup which had that wonderful homemade taste to it and a little cilantro giving it that "Mexican" flavour.
Then came out an order of avocado enchilada which was essentially a flat, hard shell taco with a layer of black bean paste (assuming it was refried, and I was assured nothing comes from a can!) and avocado, then topped off with lettuce, tomato and the other standard fixings. It was fantastic. I am salivating a little as I write this.
The ambiance was low-key, laid back, and was all-in-all quite pleasant. I'd definitely go back next time I have a little Mexican hankering. It was tasty and didn't break the bank which is always an added benefit!
I'd give it a B+ and look forward to trying the chorizo tacos, burrito, and sweet lord - QUESADILLAS.
h.


No comments:
Post a Comment