Named after Bangkok’s notorious Khao San Road, a bustling street lined with food vendors and the mecca of drunken partying for backpackers, this restaurant lives up to its sprightly precedent.
A friend and I were pale with hunger after watching Tarantino's three hour long Django, and were not digging the local grub digs around the ScotiaBank Theatre.
It was nearly 10 o'clock when Paloma remembered that Khao San Road was just around the corner. When confronted with the local options of Hooters, dirty Shawarma shack, or a new Thai experience, the latter obviously won the draw.
Unfortunately when we walked in, the host advised us we'd arrived a minute too late and they were just closing up. This stood in stark contrast to a restaurant seemingly at capacity, where one could hardly hear themselves think. He turned back and eyed us again, and asked us to hold on a second and he'd "see what he could do".
To our stomachs great relief, he ushered us to a table near the kitchen (where I am sure we were getting begrudging death stares from the kitchen staff). We both ordered the Red Curry and a glass of Kim Crawford.

By the time the food came I was on my second glass and was feeling quite libatious. The smells of sweet spices and coconut milk intoxicated me even more and my tummy was rumbling with anticipation. The curry was fantastically perfect - in fact, it reminded me of the red curry I make at home (which I am proud to say is Awesome). It was served with a piping hot bowl of steamed rice and was so creamy I could die. There was a weird zucchini in it however, whose texture did not totally agree with me, but I managed to pick around it quite easily.
I will admit to having consumer my fair share of wine which curbed my appetite a little, however the serving was quite generous. I put my fork down sated and satisfied.
Our server was a jokester and full of energy. He came by and offered me some chocolate from his personal collection which I found endearing and sweet. I declined on account of my current obese state, but was impressed by the overall service of the evening.
When we went up to pay, a portly gentleman asked me how my meal was. In a very coy and almost deliberate way, he was reticent in telling me what his position was at the restaurant. My deduction was correct in thinking he was one of the owners.
Chatted with him (Monty) for a good 15 minutes and then we were on our merry ways.
Real feel good place and delicious taste. Big thumbs up.
326 Adelaide Street W
No comments:
Post a Comment