Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Farmhouse Tavern - The Junction

All I can say is Heart Attack.
My cholesterol levels were like mercury on a hot day.
My heart was nearing embolism point.
My belly needed extra stretchy pants.
My appetite was sated and satisfied.
And on my face was a painful smile.

Located on the cusp of the quickly developing Junction area, Farmhouse Tavern is an absolute carnivores delight.

I was fortunate enough to know our server, though the upbeat, vivacious environment was ideal for friend or stranger.

Obviously, being brunch, my friend and I started with Ceasars - an absolute brunch staple. 
This Ceasar however, was like something out of a dream. Straight out of the dreams of booze induced sleep.
Not only was mine garnished with a whistle (?) - just in case I started to run low! - it had a smoked oyster wrapped in a mandolin-thin slice of cucumber. Nothing beats oysters in the morning!

Now for the coup de grace... my friend ordered the Ploughman's platter while I decided to live on the edge and order the ironically named Mother and Child's Reunion.


The latter was two deep fried poached duck eggs with a side of candied duck prosciutto. This wonderful reunion of Big Quack and Little Quack was absolutely sinful and immediately made my arteries shut down.

Unfortunately for my waistline, I was eyeing the board of charcuterie across from me with great gourmandise.

The platter consisted of cracklin (the equivalent of pork rinds), soft unpasteurized cheese, blue cheese, pork belly, a twist on traditional bacon, pickled veggies, two varieties of delicious mustard, and my absolute favourite, smoked trout garnished with roe (another Mother and Child Reunion!), and fried buttery bread to sop it all up.

 My brunch partner was kind enough to share his aptly named Ploughman's Platter which left both of us fat, full, and farmhouse happy.

With its emphasis on rural Ontario fare, this place was memorable for its delicious flavours, adventurous combinations, and modern take on brunch classics.

BIG THUMBS UP and will definitely be going back to this one. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment